Monday, September 13, 2010

I took me four weeks, five days and 15 hours to fall in love with Uganda.  I don't fall in love easily, but when I do, I fall hard and fast.  I first realized that Uganda and I had started this new love affair on the bus ride home from Jinja earlier this afternoon.  Although, I've felt the feeling creeping over me these last few days.  I would find myself cruising on the back of a boda-boda, a giant Uganda flag flying from the handlebars, watching the streets and people flash past in a blur, grinning from ear to ear the entire ride.  Things that stressed me out and made me angry a few weeks ago now just make me laugh.  No electricity today...The showers are out of hot water...The internet stops working in the middle of a skype call...My professor shows up for class an hour late (or not at all)...nothing seems to phase me.  All of this country's little idiosyncrasies are now just a source of amusement for me.  Being called a Mzungu (white person) on a daily basis doesn't even offend me anymore.  I've just come to think of it as my second name...Caro Mzungu.  I'm either referred to as Caro or Mzungu.  Never Caroline.  I guess I've been called worse, so I can't really complain.

1 comment:

  1. so glad to see you settling in so well and loving the experience. I really enjoyed all your photos and so happy to see you're doing great. Hope you have a great week, take care.

    ReplyDelete