Saturday, August 14, 2010

     So I have made it safely to Kampala, although getting here was pretty stressful.  After having to spend the night in Charlotte because of airplane mechanical issues, I made it to Uganda late Wednesday night.  There was a major gap in communication so my host Rotarians did not learn that I would be arriving until a few days before hand.  However, once they got the news, they went above and beyond to make sure that I was welcomed properly.  Herbert, a Rotarian from my host club (Rotary Club of Muyenga, the largest club in Kampala) picked me up from my hotel Thursday morning and drove me into downtown Kampala.  Although the country really is as beautiful as everyone says it is, the city itself is absolute, utter chaos. I have really never seen anything like it...even New York can't compare.  There are cars, buses, taxis, boda-bodas (motorbike taxis), bikes, and people absolutely everywhere with no organization to it at all.  I have only seen 2 traffic lights, no speed limits, no stop signs, no lanes in the road.  As you can imagine, its pretty congested.  Yesterday, there was even a point where my driver ran right into another car and just kept going.
     It took me awhile to really get used to things here, although I'm still far from being settled.  I pretty much locked myself in my room at the guest house for the whole first day, too scared to even venture out for food.  Finally, yesterday I started to explore more.  Daudi, another one of my new Rotarian friends, arranged for one of the drivers at his transport business to take me back to the airport to pick up my lost luggage.  Yesterday afternoon, I started to try to learn my way around the campus some.  Even the simplest of tasks here are far more difficult than they would be back home.  There are absolutely no maps of campus, so it took me about an hour to find where I needed to be. In the meantime, the view was beautiful.  Kampala is a very hilly area, and the campus itself is situated on the top of one of these hills.  One of my favorite things to do is sit outside at night, where you can see all the city lights and hear the sounds of the Call to Prayer in all of the local mosques.
     While walking around campus, I also had my first run-in with a Marabou.  These are quite possibly the scariest creatures I have ever encountered (They even beat grizzly bears in my book).  These are absolutely HUGE birds. Standing, they come up to my shoulders, are about 2 feet wide and must weigh at least 30 or 40 pounds.  Other than their pretty blue color, they are absolutely hideous.  The sounds that they make are even more scary...there's no chirping.  Instead, they make this croaking, popping noise in their throat.  I rounded to corner yesterday to see about 20 of them perched atop one of the trees.  The tree was almost bent over beneath all their weight.  Needless to say, I think I'm going to try to keep my distance from these things.
     Yesterday evening, Daudi picked me up to take me to a Rotary dinner that he and his wife were attending.  There, I received a very warm welcome from all the officials of my host club, including the President who gave a nice speech, saying how blessed he felt to have me here for the next year.  They then proceeded to order a feast of food which included naan, curries, sizzling beef, and roasted chicken, pork and goat.  Yes, I even tried the goat which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
     This morning, I took yet another step in getting accustomed to things here.  I took my first boda-boda ride.  Bodas are the easiest and cheapest way to get around here because of all the congestion problems.  However, up until this point, I have been too scared to try them.  Ladies are supposed to perch on the back of the motorbikes side-saddled, which to me was terrifying.  However, I broke down this morning and hired one to take me to the local shopping center.  The first few minutes, I was so scared I thought about asking the driver to stop and let me off.  Once, I started to relax a little, it was actually pretty fun.  Just one more thing to get used to on my seemingly never-ending quest to settle down here.

6 comments:

  1. what an experience, I would love to see Kampala and all the traffic to see how it compares to Rome traffic circles where it is just as crazy. I also saw cars bump into each other on a traffic circle and all the drivers did was yell and gesture at one another and then keep going. When do you start classes and how is the weather there. It is still really HOT here, about 99 to 100 yesterday with the usual humidity. The boda-boda sounds scary, but, fun as well. Can you rent one to ride around yourself or do you have to have a driver? Very glad that you made it OK and got your luggage, be safe and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, umm malibus sound like wonderful creatures, I don't know why you wouldn't love them? sounds like you are doing well, I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline!
    i'm super excited for you! i hope you continue to settle in & start to get comfortable.

    i know what you mean about the traffic thing. Nairobi was the same. i was OVERWHELMED! to the fullest. & actually, I was happy to be a part of of a group. we arrived late in the evening, and our vans were trying to get out of surface parking lot & there was no order, rhyme or reasoning of letting 1 by 1 out. Instead every car tried to force itself out of the 1 lane to get out all at the SAME time. It was CRAZY scary. & the following morning i starred out of the hotel balcony for at least 30min at the people start their day & go to work.
    enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. i know you'll setting in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so glad you took a risk and took the boda-boda! That's what life is about... especially for you who is adventurous enough to go to Uganda! I hope many more scary-to-fun risks are in your future. :) We love you and miss you here in Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Caroline, you are warmly welcome to Kampala, Uganda. As you settle in, you need to visit the essential online guide and information portal for Kampala city -
    http://www.welcometokampala.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. please, can you next post include a picture of what sounds like the strangest creature ever?! :) sounds like you're having an absolute blast -- take risks, have fun, enjoy everything! :) oh and i love reading your blog -- your voice is so clear in explaining everything and its lots of fun to read!

    ReplyDelete